We're changing things up a bit for the next two episodes of Swoon. Today and next week Julie and Gina will talk through some of the more difficult conversations couples face and give you real-life examples of what to say in tricky situations.
Resouces from the Podcast
- Try talking about your communication patterns with a professional.
- Try new communication skills out when you're not in conflict.
- Set aside judgment, comparison, shame, and blame when starting difficult conversations. Focus on behavior instead.
- Own your contribution to the problem.
- Aim for generosity and curiosity. If you can't come from that perspective, wait to bring it up.
- Try to respond with warmth and neutrality instead of defensiveness.
Looking for coaching? Connect with Gina
Looking for a therapist in Oregon? Connect with Julie
Looking for other therapeutic support? Check out TherapyDen
Gina Senarighi, MS, MA, CPC is a sexuality counselor and communication consultant specializing in healthy boundaries, passionate relationships, jealousy, and infidelity. She supports non-traditional couples all over the world as a retreat leader and certified relationship coach.
Connect with Gina
Julie Jeske, LPC is a sex and relationship counselor. She has a private practice where she helps clients increase intimacy, ignite passion and deepen their connection to themselves and others. Julie especially loves to help women discover who they are sexually. Through counseling, online classes, or in-person retreats; her clients learn how to talk about their sexual and relationship desires, and explore ways to make them a reality.
Connect with Julie